Leading to the Super Bowl, NBC sports commentator, Rodney Harrison stated that “[Aaron Donald] doesn’t want to be known as a defender that accomplished so many individual things and never won a Super Bowl. But he also told me this: If he wins a Super Bowl, there’s a strong possibility he could walk away from the game and retire.”
Since then, Donald’s retirement rumors started happening. The Super Bowl Champion did not expect it to happen. Meanwhile, during the Rams’ winning parade, Rams head coach, Sean McVay contributed to the rumors being false and confirmed in front of the audience that they will “run it back” in 2022.
Donald also added when he stood up and yelled, “We built a superteam. We bring a superteam back, why not run it back? We can be world champions (again)!”, as the crowds went louder in a video.
Despite the confirmation, the news cycle continues. The Rams player later admitted that his main focus was to be able to watch his children grow which made the sports community even more convinced that he will be out of the Rams sooner or later.
On Tuesday, Rams fans can rest easy as McVay confirmed that a new Aaron Donald contract is underway.
“Yes,” says Sean McVay, Aaron Donald has communicated to him that he will return. Next step is getting the contract done.
— Jourdan Rodrigue (@JourdanRodrigue) March 29, 2022
Donald’s previous statement
In an interview with Greg Bishop of Sports Illustrated, Donald admitted that his true reason for considering retirement was his children.
“I’m thinking about my kids, first, always,” Donald told Bishop. “People who know me understand why. If my kids’ situation is not in order, my world is not in order. Honestly, it has always been about [them].”
Understandably, if Donald is certain of his decision, McVay would understand as he values family as much as Donald. In fact, McVay was put under the same rumor quite some time ago following his future plan to get married soon.
McVay who “had a dream about being able to be a father” and not being able to “predict the future” witnessed “What it takes” for Donald to be able to spend more time with his family.
Meanwhile, Donald’s retirement rumor was once again reversed on Tuesday, during a press conference, McVay revealed that a new Aaron Donald contract is being worked on, and he is deserving more than his six-year, $135 million contract he signed in 2018.
— Stay Calm & trusdaprocesdat iz humanEVOLUTION (@djzioneer) March 29, 2022
Bringing back one of his best defensive players, McVay previously admitted that bringing his Championship rosters back, which include Donald, was part of his desire.
Previously, at the NFL Scouting Combine in Indianapolis, Rams general manager Les Snead, also indicated that the team has discussed contract talks about Donald. Snead added that the two sides are in their best interest. In other words, the two parties are in mutual interest.
“Well, it’s a huge priority for us. I know that our group is working with [Donald’s agent] Todd France and trying to get that figured out,” McVay said.
“Feel really good about Aaron’s excitement about coming back and continuing to lead the way for us. But that is a piece that we do want to be able to get figured out for him. And I think he’s deserving of it. And so, we’re in the process of working through that right now,” McVay added.
Hopefully, with the official return of Aaron Donald, the Rams can defend their Super Bowl title next season.